Dentures – Eating Limitations
Dentures restore your smile, chewing and speaking ability. However, you must be careful of what you eat to avoid damage. Here are two lists of foods you should be careful eating and foods you should avoid.
- Foods to Be Careful with- Avoid or be cautious while eating
- Acidic Foods: Such as citrus juices and fruits
- Sugary foods – Avoid foods high in sugar
- Dehydrating Foods – Such as liquor, tea, coffee, etc.
- Foods to Avoid All Together
- Nuts & Seeds: These can cause physical damage to your dentures. Also avoid fruit with seeds
- Hard-to-Chew Foods: like underdone steaks, pop-corn, dried fruit, etc.
- Hard candy– In all types.
Taking good care of your dentures will prolong their life.
The following points are will help.
- Eating exposes the dentures to food particles. Always remove and rinse your dentures after every meal.
- Dentures are made of acrylic so they are quite delicate. If you drop them, they may break or crack and be unusable. Handle them with care, preferably over a towel.
- You should clean your mouth after removing your dentures. Particles left under the denture can cause infection.
- Brush your dentures at least once daily to keep them clean
- Keep your dentures in a soaking solution or clean water when removed at night. If you do not they will dry up, warp and no longer fit.
- Always rinse your dentures before putting them in your mouth, especially if they have been soaking in a solution.
Visit our dental office in the South Bay to review your denture options. We will give you a great experience and a beautiful smile. We are located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA near Bristol Farms. Make an appointment with one of our experienced & caring dentists today. To learn more about dentures palos verdes.